FIJIANFijian HistoryHISTORY
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
“The University opened its doors for classes on 5 February 1968” Source: 2018. Treasures of the Past – The Humble Beginnings of USP, https://www.usp.ac.fj/news/story.php?id=2826
The University of the South Pacific (Laucala Campus)

The University of the South Pacific was the first of its kind in the Pacific Islands when it was established in 1968. Laucala Campus was once a New Zealand Air Force base until the land and buildings were converted into USP's first campus. Since then the university has expanded to 12 member countries of which Laucala Campus is the largest campus in the region. 

“Roman Catholic Cathedral, Pratt Street”, no date. Source: Fiji Museum, P32.4/41.
Sacred Heart Cathedral

The Sacred Heart Cathedral is the headquarters of the Catholic Archdiocese of Suva. The construction of the Cathedral began in 1894 and was not completed until 1994, 150 years after the first Marist missionaries arrived in Fiji. The grand European design includes sandstone blocks imported from Australia, concrete staircases and balustrades, and two towers. The central stained glass window above the altar contains an image of a bilo cup beneath the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

“A small child, possibly the Governor’s son, Jack, seated on a pony with two Fijian attendants in front of Government House in Nasova, Ovalau Island, Fiji”. Source: collected by A. von Hügel, 1875-77, Museum of archaeology and anthropology, P.99680.VH, http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-government-house-p-99680-vh/
Government House

Government House was the residence of the British Colonial Governors of Fiji since 1892 and was rebuilt after a lightning strike in 1921. Today it is known as the Presidential Palace.

“Boys Grammar School postcard”, Co-operative (W.J.B. Stinsone), c.1930s? Source: http://www.justpacific.com/fiji/fijiphotos/grammar/bgs3.jpg
Suva Grammar School

The original Suva Grammar School was built in 1917 on Victoria Parade specifically for European boys. Girls were educated at another building on Selbourne Street a year later. Suva Grammar School is a co-ed school currently located at Nasese.

“Band rotunda, Thurston Gardens, 1920s”, Wishart Ryan, Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/23
Thurston Gardens

Thurston Gardens was originally named Suva Botanical Gardens. It was built in 1913 on the site of the original village of Suva and it's name was later changed in honour of Sir John Bates Thurston, the fifth Governor of Fiji.

“Great Council of Chiefs, Waikava”. Senior members of the Great Council of Chiefs with Cakobau seated at the top of the ramp above his brother Ratu Josefa Celua. The chief to his left, wearing a white masi turban is likely Musudroka, the Vunivalu of Rewa. Waikava, Vanua Levu, Fiji. Possibly photographed by F. Dufty, December 1876. P.99842.VH Source: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-great-council-of-chiefs-p-99842-vh/
Great Council of Chiefs

The Bose Levu Vakaturaga was a formal gathering of Fiji's indigenous (iTaukei) chiefs. It was established by the British Colonial Government in 1875 as an advisory body and named the Council of Chiefs (the term “Great” was added sometime later in the twentieth century). The complex at Draiba was completed in 2009 for Council meetings but was destroyed by fire ten years later. The North and South wings of the complex house the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs, Ministry of Lands and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“Under the Ivi Tree Suva” (n.d.) Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/68
Ivi Triangle

The ivi triangle has been a popular resting place in Suva, and features an old ivi (Tahitian nut) tree. A small plaque sits beneath the ivi tree at the corner of Renwick Road and Scott Street. The inscription contains some misleading information about Fiji’s history.

“Suva Government Buildings, Cakobau Memorial replacing obelisk at old government bldgs demolished late 40s” Source: Fiji Musuem P32.5/14
Government Buildings

Originally comprised of wooden buildings relocated from Levuka, the government buildings precinct today includes the Parliament of Fiji, the law courts and other government ministries. The art deco design was completed in 1939 and includes a unique clock tower with a dome covered in glazed tiles.

"Parliament Complex in Veiuto, 2018” Source: http://fijivillage.com/news/Govt-allocates-5-million-for-renovation-of-Old-Parliament-Complex-in-Veiuto-s5rk92/
Parliament of Fiji

The Parliament complex at Veiuto was opened in 1992 with a traditional Fijian house design that included masi cloths, wooden furnishings and open-air corridors. Parliament was suspended following the 2006 coup and the building has remained unoccupied ever since. Parliament now meets in the government buildings near Albert Park. 

  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
Attribution-NonCommercial

Website content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. All material used on this site retains the original Creative Commons Licences and can only be re-used under their respective licences. Note that corporate logos (such as the Fijian History logo) and images used in some collections and branding are specifically excluded from the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, and may not be reproduced under any circumstances without the express written permission of the copyright holders.

Fijian History © 2018 - The University of the South Pacific
About

This project was a collaborative effort by staff and students of The University of the South Pacific to document some of the historic sites of Fiji.

Download App

Download the app from Google Play Store and browse fijian stories even when offline

Get the app on Google Play
Contact
  • Email us